You need up-to-date registration in your state to legally operate your vehicle, so each year you'll need to renew it prior to its expiration date. If your expiration date is right around the corner, you've come to the right place. We'll walk you through the process of getting your car registration renewed as quickly and painlessly as possible. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
Renew your vehicle registration in Illinois
How to renew your vehicle registration in Illinois
The state will send you a notification in the mail letting you know when your registration is expiring in Illinois.
All of the information on the renewal notice is correct and you do not have changes to your registration:
- If you're eligible to renew online, a renewal code and personal identification number will be printed on your renewal notice. You can pay by check or credit card. A processing fee will be added to your transaction if you use a credit card.
- Call 1-866-545-9609. You will need your Renewal Code and Personal Identification Code numbers located on your renewal notice.
- If you are renewing by mail make your check payable to the Illinois secretary of state sign your name on the bottom portion of your renewal notice and mail in. You must allow 30 days for delivery of your renewal sticker.
- If you are renewing in person. Visit your nearest secretary of state and bring your renewal notice and payment.
Renewing by mail:
- A letter indicating your name, address, license plate number, and vehicle information
- A copy of your current registration card
Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
501 S. 2nd. St., Room 011
Springfield, IL 62756-6666